About Our School
PTLAHS’ vision is to create a center for higher learning in Southeast Los Angeles where students learn to exceed expectations, to be self-aware and aware of others, to be responsible, inquisitive, prepared, passionate, inspired, engaged, independent, and love to have fun.
PTLAHS will apply the International Baccalaureate philosophy and methods to be a school where partnerships for continuous improvement between teachers, parents, community and students are authentic, and seek to prepare each student in grades nine through twelve for the challenges of the 21st century school.
PTLAHS will be a model school of life-long learning through the International Baccalaureate Middle Years (IBMYP) and Diploma Programme (IBDP) in the United States. We will create a dynamic environment where all staff cultivate, model, nurture, and promote our organizational values of real-world learning and application, servant leadership, inclusiveness, discovery, continuous improvement and accountability.
MISSION AND GOALS
PTLAHS’ mission is to provide a world-class education to every student through an inquiry and investigation school model that will prepare students to meet the challenges of a global 21st century. We will fulfill our mission with:
- High Academic Achievement
- Students develop a deep understanding, mastery and application of important concepts that propel inquisitive life-long learning and will reach high levels of academic achievement
- Standards-based Instruction
- Provide a school model where students acquire and practice a range of essential skills that are CA Common Core State Standards based
- Implement the College Prep-IBMYP/DP scope and sequence, merging the CA Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and district policies, to develop and use the best instructional practices that meet the varied needs of all students
- Positive Student Character Development
- Conduct structured inquiry into matters of local and global significance that provides for better understanding of oneself and others as the IB program is implemented
- Provide a program where students are encouraged to develop positive attitudes towards learning, the environment and other people as the College Prep-International Baccalaureate Middle Years and Diploma Programme is implemented
- Community Participation
- Provide a space where students have the opportunity for involvement in responsible actions and social service in their local and world community
- Begin implementing the IBMYP/DP, which “focuses on the total growth of the developing child, touching hearts as well as minds and encompassing social, physical, emotional and cultural needs in addition to academic development” with the assistance of staff, parents, and the larger community